Friday, May 25, 2012

It Rained Foster Kittens...and I Caught Some!

Yes, you read that right. When I learned that this morning's forecast at the Richmond SPCA was cloudy with a 100% chance of foster kittens*, there was only one thing for me to do: drive over there and see if I could catch one (or three).

And so I did...all of the above. ;)

Now, before I bust wide open from the anticipation, please meet my three itty bitty, 5-week-old foster kitties!

On my lap ☺



Although not the names they were given at the shelter, we're affectionately referring to them (L to R in top photo) as Bob (teeny little tabby boy), Patrick (large tabby boy) and Sandy (long-haired dilute tortoiseshell/tabby, aka torbie girl).
If all goes well, we'll have these three fuzz balls for 3-4 weeks, at which time they'll be spayed/neutered and placed for adoption at the Richmond SPCA (which happens to be exploding with kittens of all ages).

Because they are so little and too young to be fully vaccinated or treated for biting parasites, we've set up a kitten "apartment" in my master bathroom, which can be completely closed off from our other pets and is relatively easy to clean.

The kittens seem to think the arrangement is pretty cool.


Patrick

teeny Bob

Sandy

teeny Bob totally fell asleep while at the watering hole ☺

Kitten Pile (squee!)

In case you're wondering about how the rest of the animals are handing this, they are (for now) completely oblivious. They haven't seen the kittens and have expressed no desire to break into the bathroom. At some point (before the kittens go back to the SPCA), though, I'll try a supervised meeting with the dogs (one dog at a time). I think it'll be good socialization for both species. (And besides, Jon Farleigh was best friends with kitten Lulabelle way back in the day.)

Can you believe he was ever that small?
(He's at least three times larger than her now.)

Aside from the over-the-top adorable factor, I'm most pleased with how the kittens are doing so far: they're eating, drinking, peeing (in the litterbox), pooping (in the litterbox), playing, sleeping and doing all the other things little kittens should be doing at this age. Oh yeah, and they purr LOUDLY and often.

It's going to be a full holiday weekend at my house, for sure.

Speaking of holidays, the blog will be taking one (along with many of you) on Monday.
Hope you all (wherever you are and whatever season it is) have a fantastic next few days!
See you Tuesday!



P.S. I'll announce the winner of my BlogPaws 2012 full conference pass giveaway tomorrow morning on Facebook and Twitter!

18 comments:

  1. Serious cuteness overload - I LOVE kittens - wish I could foster them all the time. If it wasn't for my grouchy 14 year old cat - we would have a never empty foster kitty room :) Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, so glad you are helping these babies
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute kittens! And outstanding pet lover/blogger for doing that very important work: fostering. Can you hear us all cheering you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these babies. Especially Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. Nothing cuter than kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you're going to have soooo much fun! My two favorites about kittehs: falling asleep wherever they happen to be, in the middle of doing whatever they happen to be doing (like your photo), and the sound of them eating their soft food. Love that sound!
    Enjoy! Can't wait for all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the cuteness! *gush* If only I could get away with it, I'd beg you to send Sandy here. There won't be any more cats at my house, I'm afraid, but I'm turning to marshmallow goo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They ARE cute. But now I need a Benadryl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are sooooo adorable!
    Happy Memorial Weekend!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just fell in LOVE with Sandy. **IN LOVE** Kitten ran sounds way better than the acid ran we got here n BC again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of Harry's siblings had long fur and he was the lonely little boy left behind in that great big cage, however, he won our hearts and has been our constant companion for 12 years I think (lost count, but it doesn't matter). We love him and Idgie too...what a tragedy it would have been for him to have been put down. Adoption is a good thing! and then there was Baby Kitty who Uncle Herbie selected from a litter of 5, the shrinking violet so to speak who turned out to be a beautiful butterfly. We'll never forget him, ever. He also came from the same SPCA...that makes four in our kitty cemetery in the back yard, Doodle, Bird, Baby Kitty and Ozzie (a replacement for Baby Kitty), however, they're all loved, just in different ways...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could we adopt Sandy? If so, do you think Harry would object?

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting that you're a foster mom. So I'm guessing you're spending more time in the bathroom than you ever thought possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darling kittens! Hope they find wonderful homes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG the cuteness! So adorable! You're so wonderful for taking care of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a lot of cuteness... so awesome.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments almost as much as Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...